Wednesday 24 August 2011

It's that time of year

     First off, sorry for not posting in such a long time. It's just I have this funny thing called school and it gets in the way of everything else I want to do while I'm here, like blog about my current life! And school gets in the way of getting to do cool things while I'm here. Maybe, I should talk to my professors about it?
     Classes started about a month ago, which means that this week is the normal week to have papers and tests. When I'm at GW though, I can usually just buckle down for a day or two and git 'er done. Here, I would rather go to the aquarium and see divers feed sea turtles and stingrays, or go back to Old Biscuit Mill to have a nice Belgian waffle with bananas and chocolate sauce. I don't want to be stuck inside all day writing a paper about modernization and dependency theories. Especially when I can sum up a 4,000 word paper into 35: two theories, one thought up by the West during the Cold War (modernization) and the other thought up by developing countries in response (dependency). Neither work very well, typically because of poor implementation. The end. Luckily, this is what I write about at home, so I can look at two years of paper writing to fluff it up a bit!
     Since I had a lot of work to do last weekend, of course I decided to go to the aquarium. Like I said, it was mostly to watch the divers feed the animals. There are tons of fish, turtles, stingrays, and sharks in this one tank. I really wanted to see them feeding the sharks, but it was the wrong day. Instead, the divers fed the turtles and the stingrays. Stingrays' mouths are on the bottom of their body, so the divers literally place the food in their mouths. And the turtles get so hungry and aggressive, the divers hide their food behind a little board and quickly toss it into the turtle's mouth. I also got to see penguins, my best friend's and brother's favorite animal. I went home and youtubed penguins afterwards. So cute!
     A lot of kids are getting discharged from Brooklyn Chest in the next month. It's so exciting, but sad because a lot of new kids are coming. On Monday, one little girl, about 1-2 years old, would not stop crying so I walked her around the ward. It turns out, she could still see her mother signing all the papers she needs to admit her. It was heartbreaking. Of course, today when I saw the same little girl, she was perfectly happy. We got to sit in on a doctors' meeting this morning and learn about the new cases. It was interesting to learn about the kids' home lives and how they were infected and their past medical history. I didn't know that the stigma that comes with having TB can be just as bad, or worse, as the stigma of having HIV/AIDS. People here seriously don't talk about it.
     I don't have a lot of pictures to show you. I went to a soccer game in Green Point last week, so I'll get those up soon.
Sara and me at the aquarium, at the Nemo exhibit.

Western Province: Jou Lekker Ding
You cool thing

No comments:

Post a Comment