Monday 1 August 2011

Hakuna Matata

     I know The Lion King takes place in Kenya, but I'm still on the same continent so I feel connected to it still! The running joke here is that all foreigners (aka Americans) expect to see lions as soon as they step off the plane. Anyways, I watched and realized that the theme for my past weekend was close to Timon and Pumbaa's life motto. It was our first free weekend since beginning the program and we managed to still pack it pretty full.
     On Friday, I somewhat finalized a service schedule. It's nice to finally have something concrete. I'm going 4 days a week from 2-5 hours a day, coming out to about 20 hours a week. As of now, I'll be working with the children who are too young to go to school, but still need to be stimulated in some way. Basically, I'm going to research engaging activities that small children do in preschools and pre-kindergartens. I'm also going to see if I can do an after school program with the older kids because they are free from 2PM until dinner. That may be too much though. We'll see! (see my use of hakuna matata there?)
     Saturday morning, we went to Old Biscuit Mill. For all you locavores, it is heaven! I have actually never seen so much good food in one place. It's not quite like a farmers' market because most of the food is already prepared, but it's like a farmers' market restaurant type of thing. They also have some really great and unique clothes, shoes, blankets. Those come with your typical farmers' market price though. But, my group and I decided we're going back there every Saturday because the food was amazing! I had an eggplant sandwich that the woman said would change my life, and it did. I finally found an eggplant product that I liked!
     Saturday afternoon, we went to the Waterfront. I don't think I will ever get sick of that place. We took a minibus, which is a super cheap taxi. It's cheap because they squeeze 30 people into about a 15 passenger van. They have a guy who sits behind the passenger seat and yells out the window to people on the sidewalk. It's mayhem. Here is a video of a relatively tame one, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gPeJkw8koZo&feature=related. I'll try to take a Flip one myself. Minibusses are super cheap. It's about a 15 minute drive from the Waterfront back to our house on the UCT campus. The 10 of us hired and it only cost me 7 rand, or about a dollar.
     Sunday, we decided to hike Table Mountain. This trip really put to test my hakuna matata-ness. For those of you who are lucky enough to be a Riley (or a rower), you know that we don't do anything that late in the morning. For those lucky to have my Dad as a father, you certainly know that starting a hike close to noon just won't go well. For those of you lucky enough to have a brain, you know that hiking without a map is just plain stupid. Well, we didn't start our hike until noon and our directions were written on a scrap piece of paper that included things like "turn at the square house." We also started the hike off by going down a path. I had given up finding Table Mountain long before any of this. However, our detours led us to some zebras and I got to see an exciting arrest over the illegal picking of Table Mountain National Park flowers. We didn't get to Table Mountain and some of us only got a little bit up Devil's Peak. Luckily, we still have a teensy bit longer here.
Here is a picture of the tables at Old Biscuit. They're old doors! And they had hay stacks with turf around tables for people to sit on outside!
The remnants of my crepe. And the ever present Exeter Cycles water bottle that doesn't leave my side.

Did I mention that while at the waterfront we saw The Real Houswives of Atlanta filming their vacation episode? I don't watch the show, but will keep an eye out for this episode

And here are the zebra we saw. I got too excited and forgot to zoom in all my pictures, but if you look in front of the second tree from the left you'll see one. *Note to self, don't wear tight white jeans..

I'm going to try to update this a little more often in order to stop this novel writing that I'm doing. For most of you it's summer and you should be outside enjoying the beautiful weather. At least when I'm writing this, it's in order to avoid some homework!

No comments:

Post a Comment