Thursday 21 July 2011

Robben Island, Take Two

     Yesterday, I went back to Robben Island for the second time in a week. It was actually better this time around. CIEE hires a tour guide for us to do things around Cape Town and Thabo took us to Mzoli's Restaurant on Sunday and around Langa. He also ran the tour of Robben Island. The island is a half hour ferry ride away, and then you drive around in a big bus for about an hour and stop and get out to take pictures, and then you arrive at the prison where you get to see Madiba's cell. Our ex-inmate this time was a lot more interesting. He was accused of sabotage and terrorism because he was a part of the ANC's army. He was on the Island from 1983-1990.
     We also visited Parliament. South Africa has 3 capitals and Cape Town is the legislative capital. We got to sit in on a committee session for about 20 minutes. If you read Mandela's book, this is the building where he secretly negotiated with President de Klerk to end apartheid and release all the political prisoners. I kind of missed my iPhone while I was watching everyone on their Blackberries and iPhones. I enjoy my old school phone though. It doesn't even have a vibrate setting or a color screen. If I get mugged, they will give me back my phone..
     This weekend, we're going on our "Expectations Weekend" with CIEE. We're going an hour out of Cape Town to cabins and ropes courses where we'll conquer our fears. Kind of corny, but still really cool. I like a good ropes course every now and then.
We had a welcome dinner for the entire CIEE Cape Town program at Moyo's, a vineyard in Stellenbosch. This is my service learning group. We got our faces painted at dinner.

No comments:

Post a Comment