Sunday 10 July 2011

Cape Town- Day 3

Today was another great day. Like I said yesterday, most things are closed on Sundays, so I found a place to eat breakfast and then came back to my hostel. I found a book in the hostel's library and brought it up to the rooftop to read. I pretty much just read the entire day until a new girl arrived in the Hearts Room. Her name is Nimtaz and she is from London, but works in Switzerland. She works for the IOC in their media relations part. She was in Durban for meetings and it was decided that the 2018 Olympics are being held in South Korea! She gave me a little pin and a little dvd. We explored Cape Town a bit and found the Company Gardens, which are from when the Dutch or Brits were here and kept a nice garden near where they lived. It was so pretty.
Tomorrow, she and I are going to Robben Island, where Nelson Mandela was held prisoner, and then to Table Mountain. I'm excited to visit Table Mountain again because it's so pretty and this time, I'll have a bit more time to walk around up top. And the tour of Robben Island is given by former inmates, so that should be interesting. No worries, most inmates were political prisoners during apartheid, so usually their biggest crime was not carrying proper identification or just the color of their skin. I won't be hanging out with any Whitey Bulgers!
Some people from my program begin arriving tomorrow night, so I'm getting really excited to finally meet them. It's so strange to be "friends" with them on Facebook, but not have any idea what their voice even sounds like. Welcome to 2011!

No comments:

Post a Comment