Sunday 6 November 2011

The Final Countdown

     I remember watching my 8th Grade Winter Term final video set to this song, and many others, and thinking how much fun I had over one term. That winter was one of the best winters of my life. I loved watching a video recapping all the fun I had with my friends doing something that I loved. It's incredible to think that I am wrapping up yet another amazing term. Thanks to the Southern Hemisphere, it's been another great winter!
     We're now cramming in souvenir shopping and sightseeing. Every thing I do, I wish I had found it three months ago! I just don't want to leave. I remember talking to the girls in my hostel back in July and they were telling me that everyone comes back to Cape Town. I remember thinking that they're just proud of the city and that most people don't come back. Well, since I have been here, I have met past study abroad kids who have, in fact, returned. This semester has been so cool. I can't wait to come back. I just need to find a reason..
     It's been a great last couple of weeks. Classes are over. Exams and papers completed. Now, it's all about savoring the last few days here and pulling ourselves away from the relationships we've built at our service sites. I told one of the doctors I plan on stealing one of the babies. And one Grade 7 boy is buying a plane ticket to America with me. It's going to break my heart leaving these kids behind. When we leave for the weekend, they already hug us like it's the end. I am actively ignoring that the last day of service is around the corner. We're taking them to Table Mountain as a final goodbye. Ending on a high note will make everything easier.
     In a few short days, my mom is arriving. I am so excited. We have been talking about this since before I left in July. Now, the time is finally upon us. I can't wait to see her. This is the longest I have ever gone without seeing one of my lovely parents. After going to boarding school and three years of college, you would think I'm used to not seeing my parents. However, I think we all know how much the Rileys love Gould. And at GW, I see one of my parents every month. Weird, right?! It took a trip to Africa to set the record. Anyways, the trip is a much deserved for my crazy mother and we've been planning over email and Skype for about two months now!
     Here are some pictures from my last couple pre-mother weeks! Cheetahs to doughnuts!
Hanging out with some cheetahs..

Tractor=universal appeal to children

Me at the Kings of Leon concert

The new hospital school! New EVERYTHING!

Sithembiso is so excited!

Manenburg Gangster, Hippie, Bankrobber, and Fairy. Note the gluten free Hippie option for doughnut on a string!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment